Headquartered in Montreal, Reflector, a company of the Bandai Namco group, is a new breed of studio working with top talents to create high-quality, compelling content for global audiences. By employing a true transmedia approach, where content is built outwards from fully fleshed “Storyworlds”, the company is able to tell richer, deeper stories that connect with fans everywhere.
As the Technical Director, Level Design you will assess the tools and methods requirements and prepare and adapt the tools that will be used in level design throughout the production process, participate in engine selection whenever possible. You will also provide a support to the team for the other level designers regarding the selected tools and methods and for their integration of the maps into the game engine.
- Read the game design documents to identify the technical needs of the level design team;
- Test the selected engine or develop and suggest improvements to the programming team;
- Develop or look out for the best tools and methods in order to enhance and facilitate the work of the level design team;
- Test the tools and methods before they are implemented and ensure that they function properly throughout production;
- Produce the tools, methods, training, processes, and engine constraints reference documents;
- Create, organize, and conduct training sessions for all members of the level design team so that they are able to make proper use of the tools and methods;
- Coordinate tool use and be a point of contact between the level design and programming teams;
- Communicate the technical constraints and their rationales to the level design team on a regular basis;
- Write the nomenclature of the files created by the level design team;
- Provide constant technical support on the tools and engines for every member of the level design team.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent training/experience;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as a technical level designer;
- Experience of working on 1-2 published game from conception to release preferably on a ‘AAA’ console title;
- In-depth knowledge of game engines (Unreal);
- Ability to adapt to change;
- Motivates and inspires others to generate new ideas;
- Good organization skills;
- Strong coaching and leadership skills;
- Very good writing skills (technical documents);
- Strong communication skills in French and English, both oral and written.